Search this site
- Would you have liked to live here, at Kropfenstein medieval cave castle?
- An update after months of inactivity at my website
- The little-known archaeology of Gharb Aswan, Upper Egypt
- The old quarry that was reused as a beer brewery
- Stone extraction with pickaxes in Ancient Egypt: Fact or fiction?
- Ten quarries of Ancient Egypt: Series summary
- Ten quarries of Ancient Egypt: 10 – Firework!
- Ten quarries of Ancient Egypt: 9 – Palaeolithic quarries in the Eastern Desert
- Ten quarries of Ancient Egypt: 8 – The quarry at Widan el-Faras that disappeared
- Ten quarries of Ancient Egypt: 7 – Tracing a grinding stone quarry in the Sahara
Popular right now
Find posts by Google Maps
TagsAlexandria Alta Ancient Egypt ancient egyptian quarries Aswan Bern Berner Sandstein Cleopatra's Needle conservation Cultural heritage Faiyum firesetting Gharb Aswan granite Graubünden grinding stone Grünenfels Heliopolis historic photos hunting London Luxor marble New York Nidaros Cathedral Nidarosdomen Nidarosdomen artikkelserie Norway Nubia obelisk olivine Paris quarry Qurta rock art ruin sandstone Selja soapstone Surselva Switzerland ten quarries of ancient egypt Trondheim Wadi Abu Subeira weathering
Trying desperately to add my papers to academia.edu…
...but all my papers are still listed under publications on this website...
TAKE A LOOK AT THESE
Get this book! (click on pic)
Tag Archives: Gurten
Even until the 1950s the quarrymen in Berne extracted their sandstone using pickaxes. They carved out trenches around the blocks to be removed, not unlike the way their colleagues did 5.000 years ago in ancient Egypt. Why so? Join me … Continue reading