Search this site
- “Nidaros: The Portland Cement Cathedral” (Baker Memorial Lecture)
- Forvitring av kleberstein på middelalderkirker – to videoer
- Experimental archaeology: Building a “classic”, intermittent limekiln and burning marble at Millstone Park, Hyllestad, Western Norway
- Update after long absence – follow on facebook
- Happy New Year from the most beautiful old quarry in Western Norway!
Popular right now
Find posts by Google Maps
Follow me on
Min nye bok! Klikk på bilde for info. Og hvor kan den kjøpes?
Get this book! (click on pic)
Get informed! State of the Art on natural stone today:
Tag Archives: Ancient mining
This fall I joined the Wadi el-Hudi expedition to the famous Middle Kingdom amethyst gemstone mines in the Eastern Desert south-east of Aswan. The expedition is led by Dr. Kate Liszka of California State University San Bernardino (US), and over the last few seasons it has excavated and documented the ancient mining settlements in very high detail. My task was to take a closer look at the geoarchaeology – to try and understand relationships between geology and mining. It is hugely important to document what is left, for the ancient mining area is now at high risk from looting, modern gold mining and stone quarrying. Continue reading