Search this site
I work with the geoarchaeology of old stone: quarries, monuments, rock art. And I try to figure out about their weathering and conservation. My domestic services are managed through FABRICA, a registered Norwegian company established with good partners. On this website I publish articles on heritage. For the joy of old stone! Per Storemyr
Visit FABRICA’s website!
- Selja kloster: Hvor kom middelalderens kalkmørtel fra?
- Firmaet mitt er nå del av FABRICA.no / My company is now part of FABRICA.no
- Kinn kirke: et utstillingsvindu for devonsk sandstein
- Happy New Year to clients, partners and followers! With photos from work and excursions in 2018
- Burning sea shells to make quicklime
Popular right now
Find posts by Google Maps
SOAPSTONE! New book on its archaeology and history!
Book: The Stones of Nidaros Cathedral
Visit Millstone Park in Hyllestad, Norway
Get informed! State of the Art on natural stone today:
Tag Archives: Wabern
Working with the Berne Minster Workshop on mapping the quarries used for the cathedral, I visited the Wabern quarry just outside the city centre yesterday. Though it is unclear to what extent it was employed for the cathedral in the Middle Ages, it is a most remarkable quarry: For it was reused as a brewery for “Gurten Beer” from the 1860s on. Since I have noted the link between stone extraction and beer drinking through history (see last part of this story), I thought I ought to post the photo above of a wonderful old horse cart with a beer barrel remaining in the quarries. Continue reading